HELP MUSICIANS UK ANNOUNCE GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP WITH WOMEN IN MUSIC
Help Musicians UK (HMUK), the leading independent music charity in the UK has announced a partnership with Women in Music (WIM), the global non-profit organisation founded to support and empower women in the music industry.
This ground-breaking partnership launches WIM’s first European chapters entitled Women in Music Great Britain and Women in Music Northern Ireland. This will further establish Help Musicians UK’s commitment to promoting gender equality in the UK music industry after their recent high profile work with the UN Fund for Women’s HeForShe campaign.
Women in Music Great Britain and Women in Music Northern Ireland will aim to represent all women in the UK music industry. Any woman or man who works in the industry can join, from students to seasoned industry veterans — and from all genres and areas of expertise. Members will enjoy benefits such as:
- Educational seminars, panels and workshops with top-notch professionals
- Up close and personal evenings with acclaimed performers, producers and other industry professionals
- Roundtable discussions held to discuss current topics relevant to the industry
- Master Classes, Seminars and Workshops
- Special Mixers and Speed Networking Events
- Access to the exclusive WIM Google Group
Membership will initially be administered by Women in Music via WIM@helpmusicians.org.uk but will be completely free in the first year – ensuring a truly universal opportunity.
The announcement was made at a private brunch, panel and networking event at MIDEM hosted by Women in Music, where Christine Brown, Director Of External Affairs & Director Of Northern Ireland at HMUK spoke on a panel, announcing the partnership. The panel was moderates by Jennifer Newman Sharpe (Vice President, Women In Music/ CEO Sparkplug) and featured Vanessa Picken (Director, Comes With Fries), Virginie Berge (CEO, Armonia Online), and Jessica Sobhraj (President, Women in Music / CEO, Cosynd). Collectively, the presentation provided an overview of the challenges faced by women globally as well as the proven solutions and resources that can be implemented by the attendees to improve conditions for women worldwide. The event was supported by Help Musicians UK, and sponsored by Fox Rothschild LLP, Armonia Online, ASCAP, Cosynd, Sparkplug, and Quiv.
Richard Robinson, Chief Executive of Help Musicians said, “Help Musicians UK (HMUK) is privaledged to partner with Women in Music (WIM) to launch the very first European chapters of the organisation. As an independent voice, the charity advocates on behalf of all individuals and groups within the music industry, supporting an eco-system that attracts and provides opportunities to people from all walks of life and backgrounds. Working with WIM on such an important issue enables us, as an industry, to continue to question, have conversations, discuss and raise awareness of gender equality - working in tandem to address this imbalance.”
Christine Brown, Director of External Affairs at HMUK added, “As a female senior executive in the UK music industry I am part of the next generation. It has always been my goal to act as a catalyst and to raise awareness whilst empowering other women in music. It is important that we recognise the real worth of this growing movement and act collaboratively – as it is only together that we can effect positive change.”
Notes for editors
- Help Musicians UK is the leading independent music charity.
- Since 1921, Help Musicians (HMUK) has provided help, support and opportunities to empower musicians at all stages of their lives.
- HMUK is creating a sustainable future that recognises the worth of all musicians. The charity works in partnership to transform the music industry through advocacy, campaigning, solutions and targeted investment for all those within it.
- Find out more at: helpmusicians.org.uk/ @HelpMusiciansUK
- Women in Music Great Britain and Women in Music Northern Ireland will be run by Women in Music UK as a separate entity from HMUK
- Women in Music is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established in 1985 in New York City to advance the awareness, equality, diversity, heritage, opportunities, and cultural aspects of women in the musical arts and industry through education, networking resources, support, empowerment, and recognition. For more information about Women in Music, visit www.womeninmusic.org
- Midem is an annual international b2b event dedicated to the new music ecosystem, with a tradeshow, conferences, competitions, networking events and live performances. It’s the place where music makers, cutting-edge technologies, brands & talents come together to enrich the passionate relationship between people & music, transform audience engagement and form new business connections. www.midem.com